#illumination event: The UN SDGs and business – insufficient progress, but is it too late?

We are delighted to launch our next #illumination event taking place on 28 November. Please find event details and the registration form below.

Launched in 2015, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are the UN’s ‘universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity’. With an achievement deadline of 2030, fulfilling this ambition will require action on many disparate fronts. But what exactly is business’s role and is it making sufficient progress?

In 2019, UKSSD published a review of the UK Government’s progress to date in achieving the SDGs – disappointingly, we are only performing well on 24% of the 143 targets whereas on the remaining 76% we are rated as poor or inadequate.

Beatriz Becerra, MEP and Vice-Chair, EU Subcommittee on Human Rights, stated that “it’s impossible to achieve the goals if we don’t have the full commitment of the private sector”. 

We believe that the SDGs are the ideal framework to address some of the greatest social and environmental challenges we face, and with this mind our session will cover the following:

  • Why should business care about the SDGs and how best should you respond?
  • How can you drive internal and external engagement around the SDGs?
  • How can you navigate the complex waters of SDG ‘rainbow-washing' – are you guilty of overstating your contribution?
  • What does good look like in terms of reporting/disclosure and what tools are available to help with this?
  • How can you prioritise the right SDGs for your business?


  • Steve Kenzie – Executive Director, UN Global Compact Network UK
  • James Whittingham, Senior Sustainability Consultant, Luminous

Date: Thursday 28 November
Time: 8.30–10.30am (breakfast/networking from 8.30, presentations from 9.00)
Venue: Luminous, 2nd Floor, 35 Great Sutton St, London EC1V 0DX